Table of Contents Show
If you are an Apple user, you might know that Apple pays very good attention to maintaining the privacy and security of its users. If you have some important files and folders that you do not want to be shared with any other unauthorized use or your friends and family members, then there is a good option to protect your folders using the password.
In this article, we are explaining how to protect your important files and folders on Mac from the prying eyes of other people. So let’s see the steps:
Also Read: How to Password Protect PDF Files on Mac
How to password protect a folder?
If you want to password protect some important files from unauthorized people, here’s what you need to do:
Note: Try to set an easy-to-remember yet s strong password, so you do not forget it easily.
- Open the Disk Utility feature on your Mac. To do it go to Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. You can also use the Command + Spacebar shortcut to launch Spotlight Search and type disk utility there.
- Now open the File option here.
- Now you will be taken to the File window.
- Now go to File > New Image > Image from Folder.
- Open the folder that you want to protect using a password.
- You can also set the level of encryption you want here, like 128-bit, 256-bit, and more.
- Now you will have to set your strong password here. Also, set a customized name of the folder, so it is easy to remember.
- Now access the Image Format option and choose Read/Write option here.
- When you are done, click the Save option to password protect your folders on Mac.
Also Read: Mac Keyboard Shortcuts
How to Access and Re-Lock the Password-Protected Folder?
If you want to open the locked folder to view its contents, here is how you can proceed:
- First of all, you need to look for the ‘.dmg’ disk file on your Mac
- Now you need to double click on it.
- Before accessing the folder, you will have to enter its password. This password is the one you used to password protect that folder.
- After entering the correct password, press the Ok button. Do not check the box for ‘Remember password in my keychain’).
- Press the Ok button as soon as you enter the password.
- After you’ll enter the correct password, you will see the disk image of the folder on Mac’s desktop.
- Double click the folder to view its contents.
Important: Now, you can delete the folder with the important files so that all your files are present only in the disk image protected by a password.
- After viewing your files, you have to right-click on the disk image and choose the eject option.
If you want to open the folder again, you need to follow the same steps as explained.
How To Password Protect File/Files inside the folder in Mac
Using Notes App
If you want to protect only a single file or files within a folder, here is what you need to do:
Open the Notes app on your Mac.
- Select the file or the files that you want to protect using the password.
- Now go to the Notes Menu bar.
- Click on the Lock icon and choose the Lock Note option here.
- Now you will have to enter the password for the files that you want to secure from other people.
This is how you can easily password protect the files using the Notes app.
Using Preview App
You can also lock your files using the in-built preview App on Mac. Here is what you need to do:
- Open the Preview App on your Mac and choose the file you want to protect using the password.
- You can also right-click a particular file and choose Preview in the Open With option.
- Now click on the File option in the Menu bar and choose the Export option here. Don’t forget to check the encryption from the dialog box.
- Now enter the password and re-enter it to verify the password.
- Finally, click on the Save button.
Note: To password protect your files using the Preview app, you will have to convert your files into PDF file format.
These are the very easy methods that can help you password protect your important folders on Mac. Thanks to the advanced privacy options in Apple’s ecosystem, password-protecting folders were never so easy!