Table of Contents Hide
Microsoft’s Cloud-based digital assistant Cortana has been a part of Windows since Windows 8.1. You can order Cortana to set reminds, browse the internet, track calendar events, and more. Although Cortana is fairly helpful; many users including me, find it annoying.
As officially mentioned, Cortana is a customized feature but more often than not it fails to show user-specific results. Besides it also gathers your location history, browsing preferences, and more and saves it on a cloud storage medium.
Cortana is Microsoft’s cloud-based digital assistant that assists users with their voice commands. It has been an integral part of the Windows operating system since Windows 8.1. You can use Cortana to find files, folders, and apps on your PC, keep track of calendars, set reminders, search queries on the web, and configure computer settings, and a lot more.
If you are not a fan of Cortana and want to part ways with it, you can read below to know how to disable Cortana on Windows 11.
How to Disable Cortana from Windows 11 Startup
As you know, Cortana lights up on the screen as soon as you restart your System. If you are not fond of Cortana and don’t want it to show as soon as you boot windows, you can disable it temporarily. Let’s see how to do it:
Head to Windows 11 Settings and look for Apps in the left sidebar and click it. Now choose ‘Apps & features option from the right window.
In this section, you will find lists of apps; Scroll down until you reach ‘Cortana’ and tap the ellipsis icon near it. Now choose ‘Advanced options’ from the context menu.
In the advanced settings window, switch off the toggle next to the ‘Runs at log-in’ option. Save the changes and restart your Windows 11 PC. Restart your computer now; you will see that the Cortana service will not show up until you activate it manually.
Disable Cortana from Task Manager
This is an alternative method to restrict Cortana from showing up as soon as you reboot your PC. We will do it from the Startup settings of Task Manager.
- To do this, use the ‘Ctrl+Shift+Esc’ shortcut to launch Task Manager. Alternatively, you can also right-click the Start button of Windows 11 and choose Task Manager.
- Now head to the Startup tab of Task Manager and right-click it to reveal the context menu. Choose the Disable option from the menu.
- Now Cortana will not show up on the screen after reboot, but you can always summon Cortana by pressing the Windows +C keys and searching ‘Cortana’ in the Windows 11 Search bar.
Temporarily Disable Cortana directly from the App settings
If you don’t want to activate Cortana even by mistake from shortcut keys or voice commands, use this method. However, Cortana can still be activated manually. Let’s see the steps to disable Cortana from App settings:
- Search for ‘Cortana’ in the Windows Search bar and click the first search result.
- Now tap the ellipsis icon (three-dots) present on the top left corner.
- Choose ‘Settings’ and select the ‘Keyboard shortcut’ from the ‘This device’ tab.
- Now disable the toggle next to ‘Keyboard shortcut’ and restart your PC. When you reboot your PC the settings will be applied and Cortana will not be able to restart by mistake from shortcut keys.
- Head to the Settings page again and now go to the Microphone settings.
- Now click the ‘Microphone Permissions’ settings and turn off the toggle next to Cortana. It will restrict Cortana from accessing System’s microphone.
- Similarly, you also need to disable the ‘Voice Activation’ feature. For this go to the ‘Voice activation’ option in the Windows 11 Settings and click ‘Voice activation permission’.
- On this page, you need to disable the permissions for Cortana so that it does not activate on the ‘Cortana’ keyword anymore.
How to Uninstall Cortana from Windows 11 PC
Cortana is a native app of Microsoft and Microsoft restricts uninstalling the in-built apps. However, it is still possible to get rid of Cortana using the PowerShell commands.
Let’s see how to uninstall Cortana using Windows Powershell Commands/
- First of all, you need to launch Windows PowerShell in administrator mode. To do that easily, press the Windows icon on the screen and choose the ‘Windows Terminal (Admin)’ option.
- Now you will be directly taken to the ‘Windows PowerShell’ window in the administrator mode.
- If you only want to uninstall Cortana for the active user, just type or copy-paste the following commands followed by the enter key.
- Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.549981C3F5F10* | Remove-AppxPackage
- But if you want to remove Cortana universally, use the command given below:
- Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 | Remove-AppxPackage
After this, the Cortana app will be uninstalled from your system.
These are the four ways to keep Cortana in check on your Windows 11 PC. If you don’t want to be left on your Windows 11 PC, you can also refer to this guide for uninstalling Cortana for good. You can reinstall Cortana back if you need it anytime. Have any other questions, let us know in the comments below.