Table of Contents Hide
- What Is a Windows Product Key?
- Here’s how to find your product key on Windows 11.
- Use Command Prompt (CMD) to Find the Windows 11 Product Key
- Find Your Windows 11 Product Key Using a Third-Party Tool
- How to Use PowerShell to Recover the Windows 11 Product Key
- Find the Windows 11 Product Key with a VBS Script
- Examine your purchase receipt or send an email
- Use the Volume Licensing Service Center
- Find Sticker on Computer Chassis
- Contact Microsoft Support
A product key is used in Windows 11 to confirm that your operating system is authentic and not pirated. You can locate the product key that is currently in use on your computer, which is very important if you purchased Windows and need to reinstall it.
Your product key has been linked to the hardware of your computer since Windows 10. As a result, whether upgrading or performing a clean install, you won’t need to remember your product key. However, this usually means you won’t have immediate access to your Windows 11 product key.
There are a variety of situations in which knowing where to find your Windows 11 product key is critical. Perhaps your PC is performing slowly, and you’d like to install Windows 11 from scratch. Alternatively, you may require the licence to be transferred to a new machine.
What Is a Windows Product Key?
A product key for Windows is a 25-character code that you can use to activate your copy of the operating system. You don’t need to manually enter the key each time you update or clean install Windows 11 because it uses a digital licence approach for activation.
If you encounter an activation error, you may be prompted to provide your 25-character product key in order to activate your copy of Windows.
Microsoft uses a product key to verify that the copy of Windows being used is authentic. When Windows 11 is enabled, the key is given to Microsoft, who compares it to its database. If the key isn’t valid, Windows won’t start up.
The original equipment manufacturer (OEM) instals Windows on a prebuilt computer or laptop for you when you buy it. OEM keys, OEM product keys, and OEM licences are all terms used to describe this type of key.
For enthusiasts who construct their own PCs or buy different versions of Windows 11, there are also retail licences available.
Here’s how to find your product key on Windows 11.
Use Command Prompt (CMD) to Find the Windows 11 Product Key
Using the Command Prompt is one of the simplest ways to locate your product key. To find the product key for your copy of Windows, you can utilize the tried-and-true Command Prompt. To get the code, you’ll need a machine that’s been activated with Windows.
This is how you do it.
- To open Windows search, press Win + S on your keyboard.
- From the search results, type cmd and then click Run as administrator.
- Type the following command in the Command Prompt window and press Enter to run it:
- The screen will display your original product key. For future usage, copy and save the key to a safe area, such as your Dropbox or Google Drive account.
Find Your Windows 11 Product Key Using a Third-Party Tool
You can also use a third-party programme such as ShowKeyPlus to locate your Windows 11 product key.
Third-party applications like ShowKeyPlus can help you find the Windows activation code with only a few clicks if you’d prefer avoid the headache of typing commands or running scripts.
- ShowKeyPlus is available for download from the Microsoft Store.
- ShowKeyPlus will display information about the Windows licence installed on your computer when you run it.
- To store the product details in a text file, click the Save button.
You may also use this application to check the Windows edition by entering the product key, as well as retrieve a key from a backup.
How to Use PowerShell to Recover the Windows 11 Product Key
If you prefer PowerShell to Command Prompt, or if the previous technique failed, you can retrieve your Windows 11 product key using this task automation programme. This is how you do it.
- Enter powershell in the Win box.
- Choose Run as administrator from the context menu when you right-click on PowerShell.
- Type the following command and press Enter in the PowerShell window:
- It may take a few seconds for the command to complete. It will show you the product key for your copy of Windows after it has been successfully executed.
It’s worth noting that this also necessitates the use of a Windows version that’s been enabled.
Find the Windows 11 Product Key with a VBS Script
Running a VBS script is another approach to finding your Windows 11 product key. While it may appear to be difficult, running a VBS script is simple, and here’s how you accomplish it.
- Open the Notepad application on your computer.
- Copy and paste the following code into the Notepad file.
- Once done, press Ctrl + S.
- Productkey.vbs is the new name for the file.
- Next, pick All Files from the Save as type drop-down menu.
- Save your work by pressing the Save button.
- To launch the script, double-click the productkey.vbs file. A pop-up window will appear with your product key.
- To copy the code, press Ctrl + C on your keyboard and store it somewhere safe.
Examine your purchase receipt or send an email
The product key can be found in your email or purchase receipt. You may have gotten the licence through email if you purchased it from an online merchant such as Amazon. Use any keyword combinations you can think of to find the confirmation email you received in your inbox.
Also, look in the order part of your online retailer’s website for details on how to get a hold of the key or how it was delivered.
Additionally, search for physical stickers on your computer that include information about the hardware and software settings of your machine. It might also have the Windows product key or other useful information that can help you find it.
Use the Volume Licensing Service Center
Licensing works a little differently if you’re operating Windows 11 in a corporate environment with a volume licence for editions like Pro or Enterprise. Admins set up Key Management Service (KMS) servers to track and handle massive amounts of licences.
KMS servers are used to manage Microsoft’s licence activation connectivity. You can use your business credentials to log in to the Volume License Service Center site as an admin. To find the product key, go to Licenses > Key from there.
Find Sticker on Computer Chassis
Some OEMs include a sticker on the computer chassis where you can look for your key.
It’s normally on the bottom of your laptop or on the back of the chassis of your desktop computer.
Just create a backup of your key (take a picture of it) and you should be fine if something goes wrong and you need to reinstall Windows 11.
It’s also worth remembering that until you transfer the licence, you’ll be able to activate Windows 11 only on the PC that came with it.
You’ll only be able to install the version that came with your computer.
It will install Windows 11 Home, for example, if it comes with it. If your PC arrived with Windows 11 Pro, it will install the Pro version rather than the Home version.
Contact Microsoft Support
If everything else fails, contact Microsoft support for help. Using the Get Help app on your computer, you can request a callback. Here’s how to put it to good use.
- To open Settings, press Win + I.
- Click Activation in the right pane.
- Then, select Get Help.
- Choose your reason and then select Contact Support.
- Then, after selecting your product, click Confirm.
Follow the on-screen instructions after selecting the Provide your phone number and the support staff will call you option.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does windows 11 need product key?
Is windows 11 available for free?
What is the windows product key?
Microsoft doesn’t offer much help if you misplace your Windows 11 product key. It’s possible that you’ll need to buy a new key to reactivate your Windows 11 computer. You don’t need to know your key if you’ve linked your Windows license to a Microsoft account; simply sign in with your account to activate your PC.
If all else fails, Microsoft support may be worth contacting. It’s possible that the company will give you a break and allow you to activate it without your key (or help you track it down). Best of luck!