Table of Contents Hide
- What is causing the “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error in Windows 11?
- Fix “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” Error in Windows 10
- Solution 1: Disable fast boot and reboot
- Solution 2: Disable and enable the NIC
- Solution 3: update the IP address
- Solution 4: Reset TCP / IP settings
- Solution 5: Check network adapter settings
- Solution 6: Reinstall the TCP / IP
- Solution 7: Uninstalling and reinstalling the Ethernet driver
- Solution 8: Restart your router or modem
- “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” Error in Windows 11
We believe that using a wired internet connection is much more reliable than a WiFi connection, such as an Ethernet connection. There is no other medium through which the signal must propagate. Separately, when you connect your computer directly to a modem or router, the computer will automatically retrieve all the data and start working on your internet connection.
Ethernet has no valid IP configuration errors because the network interface card (NIC) is incorrect. Windows network problems can be caused by a router failure, NIC failure, or the wrong IP address assigned to your computer.
The most common reason for this error is that the computer cannot get the IP address correctly from a DHCP server such as a modem or router. Whatever the reason, it’s effortless to fix it using some troubleshooting methods. There are several reasons for this type of error on a PC, and it varies from person to person.
We recommend that you follow this article and try all the methods until the problem is resolved. Some of these methods consist of tricky steps, so follow the instructions.
What is causing the “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error in Windows 11?
Windows 11 is a significant improvement over its predecessor, but it is far from perfect. Allow me to explain why the “Ethernet doesn’t have a proper IP configuration” problem appears on the screen.
A. Malfunctioning Network Interface Card (NIC) or Network Adapter.
B. A faulty wireless router or modem.
C. Incorrect IP address and system configuration.
I would want to suggest that all of the software-based solutions listed below be implemented by the readers. Then you should contact your Internet Service Provider for more assistance.
Fix “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” Error in Windows 10
“Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” This error sometimes occurs because the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) cannot obtain a valid IP address from the Network Interface Card. Here you can try these fixes by following the prescribed steps.
- Disable fast boot and reboot
- Disable and enable NIC
- update the IP address
- Reset TCP / IP settings
- Check the network adapter settings
- Reinstall TCP / IP
- Uninstall and reinstall the Ethernet driver
- Restart the router or modem
Solution 1: Disable fast boot and reboot
Fast boot is a feature that allows you to boot your computer quickly, but it can also cause problems for your computer. If there are no valid IP configuration errors on the Ethernet, this feature may be the cause and should be disabled.
- Type Control Panel in the search box next to the Start menu. Press Enter.
- Select Show with the large icon. Then select Power Options.
- In the left pane, Select Power Button Features.
- Click Change Unavailable Settings.
- Turn off Enable fast boot (recommended) to disable fast boot. Then select Save Changes.
- Reboot the system.
Solution 2: Disable and enable the NIC
You may be able to resolve this issue simply by disabling and then enabling the network adapter. You can follow these steps.
- Press the Windows key and the R key to open Run.
- Enter ncpa.cpl. Click OK.
- Right-click on the network adapter and choose the “Disable” option.
- Wait for a few seconds, then right-click again and choose the “Activate” option.
Solution 3: update the IP address
Many users suffering from this problem recommend this method, which may help you.
To update your IP address, you must follow these simple steps:
- First, Type the “cmd” keyword in the search box, then right-click on the search results. Select the “Run as administrator” option.
- Enter some of the commands in sequence, and press Enter after each command you enter. ipconfig / release IP configuration sharing ipconfig / renew Update ipconfig
- In the final step, restart your computer.
Solution 4: Reset TCP / IP settings
This is the option to reset the TCP / IP settings using the command prompt. The two commands will help you run reset-related settings like the Winsock catalog and unicast addresses.
- Type the following two commands, and then press Enter after each.
- Netsh Winsock reset
- netsh int ip reset
- Restart your computer and check if the network can connect correctly.
Solution 5: Check network adapter settings
Usually, the default settings for network adapters are automatically obtained unless you change the IP address. Therefore, you need to go to the control panel and ensure the network settings are correct.
- Press the Windows key and the R key together to open Run.
- Enter ncpa.cpl. in the search box and click OK.
- Right-click on the network adapter settings and select the Properties Option.
- In the Ethernet Properties window, click the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4) option once and again select the Properties option.
- There enable the “Obtain an IP address automatically” and “Obtain a DNS server address automatically” option. Then click OK.
Solution 6: Reinstall the TCP / IP
Another solution is that you might need to uninstall and then reinstall the TCP or IP protocol again if the error continues to reflect. This method is actually considered the most effective method by some users if your IP does not have a valid IP configuration.
- Go to Ethernet Properties under the search box of your windows 10, find Client for Microsoft Networks, and click on the Install option.
- After Installation, find the protocol and select “Add to Windows 10” Ethernet Network.
- Then Select Reliable Multicast Protocol option and save the changes you made.
Solution 7: Uninstalling and reinstalling the Ethernet driver
To fix the network adapter driver issue that could cause the problem, uninstall the Ethernet driver and then have your computer install it automatically.
- Press the Windows key and the X key together, Next select the Device Manager Option.
- Expand the network adapter. Right-click on the network adapter settings and select the Uninstall option to uninstall the Ethernet driver.
- Network Driver Reinstallation: Driver Booster is the best tool for updating the Windows 10 Ethernet driver because it automatically scans and updates the driver from over 3 million driver databases.
Solution 8: Restart your router or modem
Check the Ethernet cable, The cable may not be connected properly or there may be a problem with your router or modem and Ethernet may not be able to get a valid IP configuration. This method requires the system to be shut down. First, you have to unplug your router or modem, leave it unplugged for a few minutes, and plug it in again. Then check the internet connection.
“Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” Error in Windows 11
1. Reboot the router
The easiest way to fix “No valid IP configuration for Ethernet” in Windows 11 or other Internet-related issues is to restart your modem or router and quickly reset your connection settings. It is very common for technical issues to come from the ISP side, so it usually fixes most router-related issues.
For best results, wait at least 5 minutes after turning the router off and then on again. In addition, along with the router, you can shut down your computer and restart it completely in case the system itself causes the problem. If you are using an old computer, you may need to replace it with a new router.
2. Check the Ethernet cable
Most people attribute this to a technical issue, but the main reason behind
the error is a bad Ethernet cable or a bad cable connection. The first thing to check is that the Ethernet cable is properly connected at both ends. If the problem persists, you can still test the connection with some other Ethernet cables to see if the connection is working. If it works fine with other Ethernet cables, it is clear that there was some damage to the previous Ethernet cable.
3. Connect the power line adapter to another outlet
All connections, including power line adapter connections, should be properly checked, except for Ethernet cables. Power line adapters generally have poor power connections and can eventually lead to configuration errors that can lead to poor operation. Therefore, the easiest way to fix this is to connect the power line adapter to another outlet and see if the router is working properly.
4. Disable Fast Startup Feature
Many customers have reported that removing the rapid startup feature in Windows 11 solved the “ethernet doesn’t have a correct IP configuration” issue. Although it is designed to speed up your computer’s boot time, it has been observed to create ethernet problems. Here’s how to turn off this feature.
- In the Windows search box, type Control and then click the Open button on the right.
- Go to Power Options.
- Next, on the window’s left side, choose Choose what the power buttons do.
- Navigate to the hyperlinked Change any settings that are presently inaccessible.
- Uncheck the item labelled “Enable rapid startup” (recommended)
- Press the Save Changes button.
5. Your Cached Files
Does the problem persist? Again fire up the administrative command prompt as mentioned in the steps above. Now, enter the following command one after the another –
ipconfig /release(press enter)
ipconfig /flushdns(press enter)
ipconfig /renew(press enter)
Restart your computer and check if you have been able to resolve the issue or not. These commands would essentially help you in renewing the DHCP configuration as well as reset the DNS client resolver cache.
6. Clean LAN Port & Cable
You should clean the LAN port and cable on a regular basis. Dust particles clog connections and reduce the performance of any computer system.
Clean the LAN cable with a microfiber dry towel.
Air Duster may be used to clear dust particles from the LAN port.
To clean the port, do not use cotton buds or swabs. Do not use a hairdryer, and if you must, keep your hairdryer at a safe distance from the port. Modern hair dryers include a strong engine that generates heated air that might harm the delicate ports.
7. Update Network Driver or Reinstall It
We will concentrate on two tasks here: reinstalling the network driver and upgrading the existing driver. Both of these can lead to no valid IP setup difficulties. In either situation, a third-party driver updater programme can be used. Smart Driver Care, for example, is one of the most effective driver updater programmes available. And here’s how this instrument can save your life in each of the scenarios stated above.
When reinstalling your network driver, consider backing up the original network driver so that if something goes wrong, you can recover your previous driver. Smart Driver Care is also an expert at upgrading an out-of-date network driver. It enables you to carry out both of these activities without any errors.
Let’s have a look at how easily you can update and backup drivers using Smart Driver Care.
- Download, install and run Smart Driver Care
- Before we do anything further, let’s make a backup of our network adapter. Let’s take a look at how Smart Driver Care can help you, backup drivers. Click Backup from the interface’s left-hand pane.
- Locate your network adapter on the right-hand side.
- Select Start Backup and wait for the procedure to finish.
- If you need to restore the backed up driver in an emergency, click the Restore option just underneath the Backup option, choose you’ve backed up Network Driver from the right-hand side, and then click Restore Now.
You now understand how to backup and restore network drivers. Let’s have a look at how simple it is to upgrade an outdated network driver, which might be the source of your “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration problem.”
- From the left-hand pane, choose Scan Result.
- Choose your network card driver from the list on the right. To be more particular, tick the box next to your network card driver.
- Wait for the driver to be updated after selecting the Update Program option.
- That’s all! Your network driver has been updated. Check to see whether this step was successful in resolving your issue.
Give your network card a MAC address.
In order to create a solid and stable connection, the network card’s MAC address must first be issued. If it is not registered on your computer, it appears to be rather frequent to have internet-related troubles, such as the “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration windows 11” problem.
Step 1: Open the Run dialogue box by hitting the Windows Key + R keys at the same time.
Step 2: Type cmd into the Run field box and press Enter.
Step 3: Type ipconfig/all into the command prompt.
Step 4: In the command prompt, a list of facts will appear; copy the Physical Address.
Step 5: Move your mouse pointer to the taskbar and right-click on the Network icon in the System Tray.
Step 6: Navigate to “Network and Internet Settings.”
Step 7: Next, navigate to Advanced network settings and choose More network adapter choices.
Step 8: Locate the presently connected Ethernet connection, right-click on it, and choose Properties.
Step 9: Click the Configure button in the Ethernet Properties box.
Step 10: Navigate to Advanced > Network Address and tick the Value box.
Step 11: Input the Physical Address that we copied in the previous step.
Step 12: After clicking Ok, restart the system.
Disable QoS on your router
Several customers have observed that removing the QoS function, which can be found in the Netgear C7800, Netgear Wi-Fi 6 Mesh, and many other routers, will considerably improve the Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP setup problem. It is quite typical for the router’s configuration parameters to be changed. These mistakes are not uncommon in such situations.
For this remedy, you must enter your router settings by providing the appropriate username and password after browsing the router’s default gateway IP address.
You may then just turn off the QoS function to see whether it makes a difference and fixes the problem.
In conclusion, these solutions are the most effective if Ethernet does not have the valid IP Configuration error, in your Windows 10/11. If you encounter this error in your windows pc, this article will be helpful just follow the solutions above.